PORTRAITS IN COURAGE: Latinos Shaping A Nation will be held at the University of Idaho on Tuesday, September 25, 2012 in the SUB Ballroom at 7:00 PM. Free Admission.
PORTRAITS OF COURAGE: Latinos Shaping a Nation is a brand new live play that showcases the lives of several Latinos who have made vital contributions to American culture and society. Two actors portray historically-based characters that have influenced science, civil rights, sports, the economy, the Armed Services, labor relations, education, and the arts. It is an awe-inspiring work that will open your eyes to the amazing people who helped make America what it is today. In a 65 minute presentation, you will meet:
• Roberto Clemente – Category: SPORTS -was a superhero of Baseball. He died in 1972 while en route to deliver aid to earthquake victims in Nicaragua.
• Gustavo Garcia – Category: LAW – won the landmark case Hernandez v. Texas before the US Supreme Court and broke racial discrimination in jury selection.
• A Young Soldier – Category: ARMED FORCES – describes the contributions of the 43 Latino Medal of Honor winners and their place in American history.
• Andrea Perez – Category: CIVIL RIGHTS – tells us her story of Perez v. Sharp where she struck down the miscegenation law in California allowing for interracial marriages.
• Luisa Moreno – Category: CIVIL RIGHTS – traversed America becoming the only Latina to rise to executive rank in a major union when she was elected the Vice President of the United Cannery, Agricultural, Packing and Allied Workers.
• A Migrant Farmworker – Category: ECONOMICS & IMMIGRATION – describes their effect on America’s current workforce and economy and the contributions of Dolores Huerta to workers’ rights.
PORTRAITS OF COURAGE is a series of historically-based presentations produced by Will & Company, a Los Angeles based theatre company that tours the nation with classical theatre and new works that deal with contemporary issues of acceptance. Committed to its mission of “actors reflective of their audience”, Will & Company seeks to represent the country by promoting and presenting artists of diverse ethnicities, genders, orientation and abilities.
Contributed by Leathia Botello