The Women’s Center was founded in 1972 to address the high attrition rates of female students on campus. Since then, the Women’s Center’s role and purpose has evolved to include a breadth of programming and outreach that addresses the contemporary issues U-Idaho students are now facing. Women’s Centers exist because gender equity has not been achieved in any country around the world.
Women still earn less than their male peers, with women of color facing an even larger pay gap. Women hold fewer tenured faculty positions and continue to be underrepresented in many fields, which has a direct impact on female students within our own colleges and departments. A series of special programs currently being planned for the fall of 2012 will honor the hard work of many individuals and groups who have been involved in creating and sustaining the Women’s Center over the past four decades.
40th Anniversary Events:
- Friday, Sept. 21, 2012 – ‘F-Word LIVE!” slam poetry performance, 7:00 p.m., Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, 508 S. Main Street, Moscow, ID.
- Monthly throughout the Fall 2012 semester: Women’s History Brown Bag Series
- Tuesday, Oct. 2 – Tuesday, Oct. 7, 2012 – Prichard Art Gallery Presents “Postures of Power”
- Thursday, Oct. 4, 2012 – Gloria Steinem, Keynote “Women’s Legacies, Inspiring Our Future”, at 7:30 p.m. PT on Oct. 4 at the ASUI-Kibbie Activity Center, 1000 Stadium Way in Moscow, ID. The event is free and open to the public. It will be followed by a facilitated question-and-answer period. The event will also serve as the keynote for the Athena-Women’s Center biennial Women’s Leadership Conference, held throughout the day on October 4 on the U-Idaho Moscow campus.
- Friday, Oct. 5, 2012 – Fundraising Luncheon with Gloria Steinem at 12:00 p.m., 1912 Center, 412 E. Third Street, Moscow, ID.
- Friday, Nov. 9, 2012 – Women’s Center Gala Celebration, 7:00-11:00 p.m., 1912 Center, 412 E. Third Street, Moscow, ID.
Mark your calendars!
Contributed by Heather Gasser, Director of the UIdaho Women’s Center